About this blog

Here's to uplifting, amusing things to think about or just to laugh about...

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rant.

Hey people, thanks for ...listening?...reading?...supporting? Anyways thanks. I won't go into further detail about the previous because the whole thing is mostly my own fault. 

But, I do have something to get off my chest. Why is it that in Nigeria or at least in Lagos, its so hard to find good work? I love my country but this summer I had to spend the whole time making do with sloppy workmanship in all walks (works?) of life. I may be slightly picky but this "approximate" way of looking at things does NOT work for me. What do I mean by approximate?  I mean the way Lagosians will say that's kind of or approximately what you want so why don't you just manage it?

Err...because I'm PAYING for it???

For example an electrician comes to do the wiring and 'fixes' it so that it works but the socket and wires are hanging off the wall precariously and it all looks very shoddy. Like WTF, just because you dont mind living in a hovel doesnt mean I like to live like that.

Or you pay for a French manicure and they can't paint it straight so they tell you you have crooked nails and you need to manage it. Can I get a HELL NO. I had to call the manager before I got a good manicure, and this is after making them do it twice already. Dude, like is this is my first French manicure? I know I don't have crooked nails, don't blame your incompetence on my (by the way, lovely!) nails. Needless to say I need to find a new manicurist in Lagos, does anyone know a good one around Ikeja to Ilupeju area?

Or you ask for a very specific pattern for your very expensive Wodin to be sewn in and the tailor comes back with something that looks nothing like it you have to 'manage' the fugly mess. Why? I have to wear it not the stupid tailor? I want my money back.

Everywhere I went I had to 'manage' substandard service or grin and bear it when everyone tried to cheat me. And to make it worse when I won't stand for all the rubbish my mother starts telling me I'm too picky and I can't fight it because its part of Nigeria.

Let me tell y'all something if everyone keeps 'managing' rubbish, Nigeria will go further into the toilet as long as nobody strives for excellence. We 'manage' everything from bad government, bad schools, bad electricity, bad roads, bad police everything! We just manage and keep silent and then we wonder why our nation sucks! The answer. WE SUCK AT POINTING OUT WRONG THINGS AT THE RIGHT TIME! we wait till it will be difficult to repair before we start to say something...

OK finished ranting

promised I wont be an Alatenumo.

7 comments:

Rayo said...

eeyah, pele, i totally feel u on this stuf jare, esp the tailor issue, kai!

Buttercup said...

Awww...as long as u r ok now..

As for ur rantin, i totally get what u mean..unfortunately, im among the types that'l just accept n 'manage', instead of complainin, i'd just go somewhere else for a better service!

Vera Ezimora said...

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND

It's not just IN Nigeria. It's with Nigerians all over. We're good @ starting stuff, but not quite good @ finishing. Good movies..terrible storylines or acting. Good magazines...bad editing. It's the same with us everywhere, my dear. E don tire me oh!

Anonymous said...

I so feel you. everyone says keep quiet and manage. I should keep quiet and manage my crazy mother when everyone sabi say she crazy. ok, sorry, just angry right now. Like you need to speak up and sue a doctor that messes up an operation because that will teach all doctors to do right and pay attention. Now by speaking up and making them correct their mistakes, hopefully the next customer will recieve better service. The same thing that makes us the happiest people alive (under a fucking dictator) is the same thing that makes our country so mediocre right now when I know we are definetely not mediocre people. I mean we are GREAT!!!

Freaksho said...

what can i say, old son?
this is 9ja.its either you get nasty or you manage.

Freaksho said...

um, my bad.
thot u were a guy.

wordsmith said...

@freaksho lol i was trying to be gender ambiguous but chari ratted me out in an earlier post and i gave up on that