About this blog

Here's to uplifting, amusing things to think about or just to laugh about...

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Vanity upon vanity

So I'm home studying on a saturday night feeling lonely as hell. I need someone to cuddle up to...

anyway.. this is something I've not worked on in depth but hey, this is my place and I can post what I want.

My one serious vanity has been my skin. I often sit entranced by the way it reflects the light and the way it just seems to glow with a light of its own. I love how in the summer time or at home in Nigeria, its chocolate-brownness takes on a golden undertone that speaks of health and good living. I especially loved how my face was smooth and clear like a little child.

Was. 

Now I stare in horror as little black scars appear one by one on the sides of my face. As soon as  I spy one zit looking for a place to anchor itself, I take off for CVS looking for the latest in fresh skin technology and fight a war against it as though it was a fledgling nuclear power.

Let me explain or try to explain: I was not a very pretty adolescent. I was round and wore glasses and thought only of being the best in class. All I believed I had going for me was my skin which did not break out like the so called most beautiful girls in that class. So at the young age of 13,  I began a very loving skin care regimen of cocoa butter, vaseline and good old face washing every morning and night. I headed off spots before they had a chance to reach maturity and took care of my skin with military precision. And it was lovely.

As time wore on and I began to 'bloom', I forgot my obsession a little bit until one day I looked in the mirror - and it was awful. Spots! More than one! Oh dear...

And so it began again-

But I still love my skin, its glow fascinates me and I wonder why anyone would want to be any other shade but caramelicious cocoa brown...

8 comments:

Good Naija Girl said...

Awww, I like this ode to your skin. Do you have a regimen of washing twice a day again? That is something I've never gotten into the habit of doing.

And acne scars! I have so many of them...I must stop picking my face.

If it makes you feel better I wear glasses and am decidedly round right now, today.

Danny BaGucci said...

Hmm.... All for your skin? Interesting.. It must be the prized weapon in your 'arsenal' in that case...

Tigeress said...

welcome to my world. acne is from the devil. lol

Trybes said...

Lol @ Danny's post.I had the same sense reading through her post..such details and infinitness put into one skin..wow...lol...Thank God for being a man..lol

Roc said...

An aptly titled post then.. :-D

Meant that in the nicest possible way of course..

wordsmith said...

@ Danny, Roc and Trybes free me jo lol. people pay good money to have skin i can get with soap and cocoa butter

@ GNG & Tigress: you get me! now i just wash twice a day and leave the rest to God and MAC

archiwiz said...

LOL... That's real vanity ohh... To sit and be staring at your skin... Frankly i didn't start being very concerned about my skin until I got here and people began commenting on the beauty of my skin... Sha sha.. .I've changed my blog url. Its now http://therealarchiwiz.blogspot.com

cerberus said...

wouldn't call that vanity. Jus good Ol care.
NOw hat i do with my tattoos, das 100 percent vanity.