About this blog

Here's to uplifting, amusing things to think about or just to laugh about...

Monday, March 16, 2009

On the much maligned nigerian woman

Recently there has been a rash of comments around me by all kinds of people (mostly male) around me, either live or in blogsville about something that is wrong with Nigerian women. Example of a much nicer version of the things I have heard can be read here in Kpakpando's post

Actually most of what Kpakpando said is true and even applies to most women (trust me I have inside knowledge from going to a women's college)- so me I am not even going to fight.

But I wanted to talk about two issues that men like to harp on about but they are being really unfair...

the Nigerian woman and the weave
Now, it is now accepted that the Nigerian woman that likes oge (fashion) has to have a weave that is at all times on point but often is not. Some men will claim they don't like weaves because they are fake and go on to rant that nigerian women are too fake in general.

I say: Hypocrites! Liars! Pretenders! World Members (see previous posts)
I'm going to use myself as a test subject: Sometimes I have a very well-kept afro and sometimes i have a weave. ( sometimes I have braids but we'll let that go for now).

Typical NIGERIAN party scene with fro (note that results may vary in companies of mixed nationalities, what can I say white folks think I look hot with an afro)

Nigerian man: hey what's your name?

Me: it's...

Nigerian man: sorry not you, (repeats question to my weavilicious friend or friend with long straightened hair (depending on the day)

Me: oh .


Typical NIGERIAN party scene with unbeWEAVABLE hair:

Nigerian man: you look really hot tonight

Me: thanks,

Nigerian man: Do you want to dance / Can I have your number

Other Nigerian man: She's already dancing with me.

Same person, Same makeup, different hair.

Why? I have decided I don't understand the Nigerian male mind, but it for some reason prefers a weaved female to an unweaved female. Nigerian women have simply learnt to adapt..


Next Rant: the Nigerian woman and the soccer team
coming soon

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks o Wordy! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ok, your word 'unbeWEAVABLE' is awesome!

And yeah, you are so right. Nigerian men totally have a love/hate relationship with weaves. It's just like a guy saying he's attracted to a woman with a great mind or character, and disregarding the fact that if she's not hot he won't even take the time to get to know her beautiful mind!

Tari. N said...

lol!!!!!! Dont mind Naija guys...they know they love them weaves..They're just hypocrites...

Later Babes!!
F.

doug said...

I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!


I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE WEAVES!!!!

AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE AFROS, DREADLOCKS, ANYTHING REAL!!!


SO THERE!!!

In my head and around me said...

I join you in chorusing "Hypppooocccritess!".

Or is it the " I like a girl that is all natural" and then they end up with chics that start from foundation to blusher to mascara to acrylic nails.

Hypppooocccritess!

Ms Sula said...

Actually, I have an anecdote regarding the weave/non weave matter as it relates to the (one) Nigerian man I've dated.

When he met me, I had cornrows on my head. And he said that's one of the primary reason he approached me (we met at a job fair of sorts).

Fas forward two months into the relationship, I was trying to grow my fro so I stayed somewhat weaved up to help with the growth. Truth be told, he didn't say much about it but asked me one day(out of the blue) when I'll do the cornrows again. Or if he'll ever get to see my hair.

Fast forward 6 months into the relationship, and I unleash my fro into its full glory... He actually liked it, although he was a bit taken aback by it at first. But then my hair became a constant subject of convo (as in how I care for it, yadda yadda)... He even liked helping me with the twists and stuff.

So from my experience, most African men do not know how to deal with natural hair (as do many African women as well)... They may know they don't like weaves, they may just not know what's the alternative.

Once you find a good one, he'll like you fro'ed up or weaved up!

;)

wordsmith said...

@temite you agree she?

@GNG: aha i wish i made it up, but i read it somewhere some time ago.

@Fashinga: lol abi, thanks for coming o

@ doug: haha does your girlfriend have dreads or braids. tel the truth.

@ In my head: thanks o jare

@ Ms Sula: I will hold on to that truth.

Tigeress said...

any Nigerian that says that they dont like extensions is a liar jo! Naija mehn like braids. I dont get it with the braids- but they LOVE it!

Original Mgbeke said...

Preach! My sister, preach. I think I even did some sort of post on this but mine was in regards to short hair. I swear all these Naija men stay bashing weaves yet dem dey chase the babes with the longest weaves/drool over awon Beyonce them.
I too wear my hair natural and I'm convinced that I get more play with it's in braids/wig or something of the sort as opposed to its natural state.

Anonymous said...

Honestly? i like the well managed natural hair. jus dont like the feake ish. part o' my 9ja DNA i guess. Jhova

Turumarth said...

Ahem...

He likes the weave. It's attractive. He might not want it to be too attractive on HIS woman.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.