About this blog

Here's to uplifting, amusing things to think about or just to laugh about...

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the Nigerian Woman and the Soccer/Football Team

Now everyone knows football/soccer (from now on I will just use football) used to be pretty much the only thing Nigerians were really good at. Except now we aren't that good at it and fashion and music seems to be our new thing.

 Anyway when we were growing up (not that we late eighties babies are done growing up) you had to watch football or die of boredom on saturdays. (Remember???).  Most girls I know don't follow things the way boys do, knowing all the Stats and numbers, away versus home wins. 

No, we knew % hotness on team, % of crushes liked what team, % of nigerians on team, % family that lives on or around said team, and % of coolness attached to team. We studied these  stats at a young age and around the age of 12-14 decided to follow the team we just liked the look of , for family, friend, or just random coolness reason. I chose Arsenal, I think because Thierry was cool and have loved them ever since.

Now what is my beef: Nigerian men seem to think that because we don't always know all the weird details of the team we are not true fans. So, not true. Just because I don't know whats-his-face age and goal scoring record does not mean I don't want him to win. I mean just because I am screaming for you to win the race and I don't know how many races and the color of your favourite underwear does not mean I don't want you to win.

My point is: Nigerian women may seem to be fake fans or fans because of the men in their lives and I want to point out that maybe its because they see how important football is to you and they want to be supportive. Or maybe they just like the team because of the way they look and this will not stop them from going psycho over them just like you, Oh Nigerian Male.

NOTE: We have a fun new blog coming up here: watch that space!!!!!!!!!!!

15 comments:

Tigeress said...

FIRST!

Tigeress said...

lol! To think i was about to go to bed. hehehehehe

I totally feel u on this blog. I'm an Arsenal supporter. I have their jersey and have the rear view mirror thingy in my car but i dont know the names of the players. Heard there is a new player who's from Russia i believe. Apparently dude is very good.

Anonymous said...

I have zero interest in watching sports or evening knowing the rules of the game (terrible, I know!) but I figure we're even since most guys in my life have no interest in blogging or crafting, my two hobbies.

I do agree though that you don't have to enjoy the game in the same way as guys for you to be as ardent a fan as a guy is. So way to tell them!

Anonymous said...

well.. guess suporting a team is on different levels -- I for one am a card carrying member plus I know just about every stat there is on Liverpool -- plus i splurged out a few quid on adding a summary of the last 25 years to my library. In my book, it doesn't differ significantly from the fans who wouldn't be bother about what happened in the 1984 European cup final.. As long s you all root for the tem, that's what counts methinks...

LG said...

hmm' all i kno is dat i m a 'gunner 4 life ' :-)

L-VII said...

Not bragging but I am yet to meet a guy who knows more than me about football, sports in general really. I am red devil, I have been for as long as a remember.

Anonymous said...

who cares? most naija gals look REALLY hot in jerseys anyway... and that's jus good enuf for me - even if she thinks George Best is Arsenal's current goal keeper. lol
Jayhova

Buttercup said...

lol!

im such a red devil fanatic....i guess i know as much as i do about football cos of my bro and dad..it was inevitable that i learn..

yay! im excited about the blog but nervous as well..

Anonymous said...

@ Tigeress....the russian player would be Arshavin....

hehehehe...in ma opinion you aint no fan if you dont know the score of your team's last match, WHO scored and in what minit...PERIOD

*dodges stones*

tehehehe....ok girls y'all can be fans too....but do you guys have to ogle over ONE player? He's hot...SO???? shish that makes your men wanna pick up a jersey and start playing football o...[*hint *hint Buttercup!]

Buttercup said...

@ chari..we dont ogle over ONE player cos hes hot..yes, hes hot but he has got the TALENT too..his hotness is just the cherry on top..lol..

i wudnt mind if u started playing, u know..

doug said...

I HATE IT WHEN YOU WOMEN KEEP GOING ON AND ON ABOUT HOW ARSENAL PLAYERS ARE HOT AND SO YOURE AN ARSENAL FAN!!! I MEAN GIMME A FRIGGIN BREAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!

lol! Just kidding o! But try...try...just tryyyyy...to know the difference between a free kick and a penalty

wordsmith said...

@ doug: it's not that bad noww ah ahhnnn we know some things, after all we are still Nigerians watching out national sport...im just pointing out that bcause we are not freakishly obsessive we are still fans

@Tigeress: Thanks O jare

@ JUstDB: a sensible person!

@GNG LOL. true talk o. they should come and watch ugly betty before they complain.

@LG LOL, that's the way. Gunners!!! so hard to follow from the US, i feel my self drawn in by that boy Tom Brady...

@LVII: of course, do your thing o

@ Jay: LOL. one track mind.hidiot.

@Bcup: fingers crossed! well be fine.

@ Chari: d minute??? please jo, i have some stuff to do. like pick out my latest perfume. You. What identifies a pair of Louboutin shoes? dont know? ehen... but you think heels are sexy? msschwww

wordsmith said...

@ ALL. im not really that materialistic LOL we all agree that books music and good movies are important too. and football is VERY important. just exaggerating to emphasize my point lol.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha!!! you asked the wrong guy mehn!

Louboutins are the only shoes that have red soles!

wordsmith said...

SNAP! Chari. we will do a better planned quiz at a later date...